27.8 C
Ghana
Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Ballon d’Or 2020 cancelled due to coronavirus disruption

TRENDING

‘NDC will build MORTUARIES in Zongo Communities’ – Mahama

The 2020 Flagbearer of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), John Mahama, has said that the party plans building more...

Benjamin Akakpo parts ways with Class FM after historic interview with Mahama

Host of the Executive Breakfast Show (Class EBS) on Class 91.3 FM, Benjamin Akakpo has resigned. He resigned on Friday...

JUST IN: Okada Rider CRASHES to DEATH on Mallam Junction overhead

Information reaching GhanaNewsPage.Com is that a commercial motor rider, popularly known as Okada has crashed to death on the...
Stephen Owura Kissi
Journalism has been my prior job during childhood. With all things been so good for me, I am able to achieve my aim and fulfill the promise I made to my family. I am now a renowned sports journalist working with Ghana News Page.

The Ballon d’Or for the world’s best players will not be awarded in 2020 because of a “lack of sufficient fair conditions” created by the coronavirus pandemic.

The prize has been awarded by France Football every year since 1956.

Barcelona’s Lionel Messi won the men’s prize last year, with USA forward Megan Rapinoe claiming the women’s trophy.

France Football said awarding a prize in a “crippled” year would “not be worthy” of their history.

“We did not want to put an indelible asterisk on the prize list like ‘trophy won in exceptional circumstances due to the Covid-19 health crisis’,” it added.

“Protecting the credibility and legitimacy of such an award also means ensuring its flawlessness over time.”

England’s Stanley Matthews was the first winner of the award when it was the European Footballer of the Year.

It was only awarded to European players until 1995, when it expanded to become open for any player at a European club. From 2007 it opened up to the rest of the world.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

%d bloggers like this: