Willy Boly is mobbed by team-mates after scoring the opening goal of the game

Wolves impressed as they earned a 1-1 draw with Premier League champions Manchester City on Saturday at Molineux.

After City hit the woodwork twice in the first half, Wolves took the lead in the most controversial fashion as Willy Boly handled Joao Moutinho’s fine cross into the far corner (57), the touch not spotted by referee Martin Atkinson or his assistants.

City equalised through Aymeric Laporte’s strong header from Ilkay Gundogan’s set piece (69), before Sergio Aguero hit the crossbar with a free-kick in the last minute of stoppage time.

Aymeric Laporte celebrates his equaliser at Molineux
Aymeric Laporte celebrates his equaliser at Molineux

The result means City drop points for the first time this season, while Wolves are on two points from their opening three games.

Wolves caused City some problems early on, seeing Raul Jimenez’s early close-range strike chalked off correctly for offside, but City eventually got going.

They rattled the woodwork twice in two minutes; Aguero slid a first-time effort against the foot of the post from 12 yards, before Raheem Sterling’s fine half-volley from 25 yards was superbly tipped onto the bar by Rui Patricio, an early contender for save of the season.

Aguero then fired straight at Patricio in a good position after Benjamin Mendy’s wicked cross was palmed into his path, before a frantic two-minute period in the second half saw Wolves take the lead and leave City feeling hard-done-by.

Ederson brilliantly tipped wide after Douglas Costa had raced through one-on-one on the City goal, but from the resulting short corner, Moutinho’s wicked cross was turned home by the hand of Boly.

Seconds later, Boly superbly blocked from David Silva’s drive as City looked for an instant reply, and City then saw strong appeals for a penalty turned down by Atkinson as Ruben Neves tripped Silva.

City did eventually respond through Laporte’s first City goal, a thumping header from six-yards from Gundogan’s pinpoint free-kick, and it was nearly 2-1 as Patricio saved brilliantly with his legs from Gabriel Jesus’ strong header.

Aguero hit the woodwork for the second time with a 95th-minute free-kick coming off the crossbar, and it stayed one apiece after a frantic and entertaining contest.