27.9 C
Ghana
Tuesday, November 24, 2020

NDC exposed in sex education saga

TRENDING

BREAKING: Nana Konadu WITHDRAWS from 2020 race

Former First Lady Nana Konadu Agyeman Rawlings has withdrawn from the 2020 presidential polls, GhanaNewsPage.Com has learnt. Sources say Mrs...

BREAKING: NDC supporter GUNS Down colleague

A member of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the Karaga Constituency has gunned down a colleague at Yung...

2020 elections: Stonebwoy finally reveals the party he will vote for

Reggae/Dancehall artiste, Stonebwoy, has revealed that he will vote for a candidate he feels has can lead the party. In...

It is turning out that the Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) appeared to have been found in the curriculum for basic schools was introduced by the previous National Democratic Congress (NDC) government in 2015.

The CSE issue has sparked heated debate in the country after it met stiff opposition from religious bodies in particular.

CSE is to integrate gender, human values and sexual and reproductive health rights perspectives into sexuality education in the country. Through CSE, it was anticipated that at age six, Primary One pupils would be introduced to values and societal norms, and how to interact with the different sexes and groups.

In the ensuing heat, the Minister of Education, Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh, at a press conference, debunked the claims that the Ghana Education Service (GES) had approved the controversial sex education course at basic school level.

He said neither the government nor education authorities had given the go-ahead for the introduction of the CSE as part of the curriculum to be used in basic schools in the next academic year.

According to him, “the so-called Comprehensive Sexuality Education is not part of the approved curriculum for usage for KG to Basic 6.”

As usual, the NDC has tried to take advantage of the issue, with former President John Mahama leading the charge and attacking the government for the initiative.

He said the government should withdraw the CSE with immediate effect but it turned out it was during his tenure that the CSE was first introduced.
A Spokesperson at the Ministry of Education, Vincent Ekow Asafuah, countered the NDC propaganda on the issue by revealing that a CSE document was published before the NPP assumed power in January 2017.

According to him, the material was meant to serve as a source document for teachers on the CSE programme.

The 2015 document was signed by then Director-General of Ghana Education Service, Mr. Jacob Aworb-Nang Maabobr Kor, under then Minister of Education, Prof. Jane Naana Opoku Agyemang.

Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, a former Deputy Minister of Education under the Mahama administration, even claimed that the government of Sweden had already committed $22 million to Ghana and the other five countries towards the acceleration of the CSE initiative.

He claimed that “one of the key deliverables upon which our government received the first tranche of money is a promise to ‘overcome social resistance and operational constraints’.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

%d bloggers like this: