26.8 C
Ghana
Sunday, September 27, 2020

Novak Djokovic: ‘I will never forget shocking US Open disqualification, but it’s time to move on’

TRENDING

Date for BURIAL of Rawlings’ late mother REVEALED

The family of the late Victoria Agbotui, the mother of former President, Jerry John Rawlings has revealed that they...

Local Firm NOM Company Limited to construct Kotoko’s Adako Jachie Training Complex

Ghanaian giants, Asante Kotoko is set to name local construction firm Nom Company Limited to work on the club’s...

CK Akonnor hands debut call up to six players: ‘A brief profile of the debutantes’

Black Stars head coach CK Akonnor on Friday announced his 23-man squad for next month’s friendly against neighbors Mali...
Stephen Owura Kissi
Journalism has been my prior job during childhood. With all things been so good for me, I am able to achieve my aim and fulfill the promise I made to my family. I am now a renowned sports journalist working with Ghana News Page.

Novak Djokovic says he must “move on” from his disqualification at the US Open but that he also may never forget the incident.

The world number one was disqualified in the fourth round last week for hitting a line judge with a ball.

Djokovic, 33, had already apologised for the incident which saw him take a ball from his pocket and hit it behind him, striking the judge in her throat.

“I felt really sorry to cause the shock and drama to her,” said Djokovic.

Speaking at a media conference in Rome, the 17-time Grand Slam winner added: “It was totally unexpected and very unintended but, when you hit the ball like that, you have a chance to hit somebody that is on the court.

“I accepted it and I had to move on. Of course I didn’t forget about it, I don’t think I’ll ever forget about it.

“Of course it was a shock to finish the US Open the way things finished for me.”

Line judge Laura Clark collapsed to the ground and could be heard gasping for breath after being struck by the ball hit by Djokovic, who had just had his serve broken by Spain’s Pablo Carreno Busta.

He pleaded his case with tournament referee Soeren Friemel and Grand Slam supervisor Andreas Egli during a long conversation at the net but later said the incident had left him feeling “sad and empty”.

The Serb is now preparing to play in the Italian Open – his first tournament since his misdemeanour – in order to ready himself for the French Open which begins on 27 September.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

%d bloggers like this: