Things you didn’t know about Captain Maxwell Mahama


    The late Captain Maxwell Mahama death has undoubtedly caused great pain to many Ghanaians especially considering the manner in which he died.

    A few people who have had personal encounters with the deceased military man have tried to recount fond memories of him and what they know about him.

    But what more do we know about Captain Maxwell Adam Mahama?

    1. He was born in 1985 and was 31 years old.

    2. He was born to a military officer [his father – 3rd Infantry battalion Capt. Chubby Adam Mahama (RTD)] whose father was also a military officer.

    3. He attended Services Basic School and John Teye Memorial School and Akosombo International for his basic education.

    4. He is an old student [Old Saint] of Saint John School, Sekondi [Completed in 2004].

    5. He joined the Military after Senior High School.

    6. He enrolled and studied Political Science at the University of Ghana [Accra City Campus]

    7. He completed his first Masters’ degree program after his BA degree.

    8. He had enrolled in an MSc Criminology program in 2015 [Distance Learning] at the University of Leicester and was due to due to graduate at this summer’s degree ceremonies.

    9. He got married to Barbara in August 2012.

    10. The couple has two children.

    11. He loves to play tennis and does so at the professional level

    12. He is peace loving and often prefers dialogue in addressing situations according to his father.

    13. He had just completed an exam to be promoted to the rank of a ‘Major’.

    14. He is a nephew to former President John Dramani Mahama

    The deceased, Captain Maxwell Adam Mahama, was lynched with parts of his body burnt by some residents of Denkyira-Obuasi in the Upper West Denkyira District of the Central Region.

    Different accounts have been given about how he actually died on the fateful day of Monday, 29th May, 2017.

    Initial reports said he was mistaken for an armed robber by residents after he was seen jogging in civilian clothes with a gun on him.

    Later, reports suggested he was attacked and killed by the townsfolk who identified him as a soldier deployed to stop them from undertaking illegal small-scale mining in the area.

    Seven persons are currently standing trial for their suspected roles in the murder.