Military Overthrows Mamprusi Chief Seidu Abagre from Bawku After Otumfuo’s Intervention

Bawku

On Christmas Eve, December 24, 2025, soldiers from the Ghana Armed Forces entered Bawku and removed Alhaji Seidu Abagre from the town. The move, which surprised many people because of the timing, was later confirmed by the government as part of efforts to calm the long-standing tension in the area.

In a short statement, the Ministry of the Interior explained that the action was not random or sudden. According to them, it followed recommendations that were recently submitted to President John Dramani Mahama by the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, after days of mediation talks over the Bawku chieftaincy issue.

The ministry was quick to assure the public that nothing bad had happened to Alhaji Seidu Abagre. They stated clearly that he is safe and currently under the care of security officials. This clarification was important, especially considering how sensitive the Bawku situation is and how easily misinformation can spread.

ALSO READ:  IGP in “FBI” Badge Sparks Controversy in Ghana

Also Read: Nkrumah Triggered the Bawku conflict for Political gain – Sekou Nkrumah

In his mediation report, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II did not mince words. He made it very clear that the Supreme Court ruling on the Bawku skin must be respected fully. According to the law, Asigri Abugrago Azoka II remains the rightful Bawku Naba, and that decision, the Asantehene said, is final.

The Asantehene reminded everyone that chieftaincy, no matter how powerful or respected, does not sit above the Constitution. He stressed that Ghana’s 1992 Constitution is supreme, and when the courts speak, their rulings must be obeyed by all, including chiefs and traditional leaders.

ALSO READ:  Marlian Music Stars Zinoleesky and Naira Marley Unite for ‘Abanikanda’

He urged the government to be firm and not hesitate to act against anyone who openly challenges the authority of Naba Azoka II. According to him, lasting peace in Bawku can only come when the law is enforced without fear or favour.

In his own words, Otumfuo said that even chiefs, no matter how highly placed, are still subject to the laws of Ghana. He added that the Nayiri must accept the current legal position and recognise Asigri Abugrago Azoka II as the chief of Bawku and the head of the Kusasi traditional area.

Following these strong recommendations, the government acted. Alhaji Seidu Abagre, who had earlier shown dissatisfaction with the mediation report, was removed from Bawku to prevent further tension and possible unrest in the area.

ALSO READ:  Why I Chose Musician/Lawyer Kwame Owusu Danso As My Running Mate – Alan Kyerematen Explains

The Ministry of the Interior ended its statement by confirming once again that the operation was carried out by the Ghana Armed Forces based strictly on Otumfuo’s report. They assured Ghanaians that Alhaji Seidu Abagre remains safe and under security protection.

Also Read: Eric Opoku emerges best Performing Minister 2025 – Feedback Africa

For many people watching events unfold, this move shows that the government is finally ready to enforce decisions that have been on paper for years. Whether this action will bring lasting peace to Bawku, only time will tell. But for now, the message is clear: the law must stand, and no one is bigger than the Constitution.

@ghananewspage

Report says that the Ghana Arm forces is engaging the people of Mamprusi People are not happy about it

♬ original sound – Ghana News Page 🇬🇭

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x